Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Some recent design and illustration projects

3-1 New Art

A drawing of downtown Fayetteville, NC done for City Center Gallery and Books and a book cover for a collection of civil war war letters. Both images were first drawn in ink then scanned into the computer where color was added using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

3-2 Salon drwg

This drawing was done on rice paper using a brush and pen with india ink. I enjoy experimenting with various paper surfaces to see what interesting effects can be created. The drawing was scanned into the computer, then color and the other elements were added.

3-3 SALON POSTER

The final version of the poster which was used in two sizes, 13 x 19" and 8.5 x 11".

3-4 WineLabels

Gloria and I went to a winery in Grand Rapids where she lives, we made our own wine and even bottled it. This was part of a French Club activity and it was a fun experience. Here are some of the labels that I designed for the bottles. For the one label I used Gloria's cats, Blackjack and Schicklefritz who really does have a black heart on his side. For the upper left label I used a painting that I did while living in Paris. The lower two were created by using permission-free old engravings from the Dover book "Antique Playing Card Designs".

3-5 Dancer

Here are two of my latest illustration experiments. On both, I first scanned line drawings into the computer where I then worked out the design and color. The computer is a terrific medium for experimentation as you can do several images of the same subject for evaluation. This would take a great deal of time when using traditional painting mediums.

3-6 Two Women

No comments:

Post a Comment