Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Early comic strip work and ink drawings

34-2 Comic Strip 1943
These two frames were part of a comic strip I drew in 1943. I was determined to become a comic strip artist, however my high school art teacher, Margret Stein, steered me into the commercial and fine arts.

34-3 Crosshatch Drwg 1943
An early ink line drawing done with a crowquill pen using the crosshatch technique. Little did I know that I would specialize in this technique for many years as a commercial artist.

34-4 Scratchboard 1943
As I do today, I have always experimented with various techniques, here is an early ink drawing done on scratchboard. This illustration board has a special surface that can be scratched away after inking a drawing.

34-5 Hubert 1944
I did a comic strip for the high school newspaper, here are a couple of examples. I also designed and did the art for the Denby High School yearbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment