Monday, April 11, 2011

Writing art instruction books

When I was the head of the Advertising Department at the Society of Arts and Crafts in Detroit (now the College for Creative Studies) I could not find contemporary instructional books to recommend to my students, so I thought about writing a few. I worked up a presentation and sent it to Watson Guptill Publications, the book was titled DRAWING IN INK. They bought the idea, but suggested that I first do a book on painting with markers. The editor knew that I worked with markers on advertising renderings and felt that it would make a fine book. I wasn't sure about how successful a book on painting with markers would be, but I dove right in and finished it so I could get started on the book that was my favorite subject, drawing in ink. The Editor in Chief gave me great advice before I began, he said "You don't have to know how to spell....and don't buy a yacht".
Long out of print, these books can be found on Amazon or other used book dealers at very low prices, in case you are interested. There is a new Dover reprint, PEN AND PENCIL DRAWING TECHNIQUES which is also available.

My Books
A few of the books that I have written, including DIGITAL DREAMS, which is about experimenting with digital art, it's available from Xlibris.

!!BOOK632
Here is the first instructional book that I wrote. I am going to post some examples from it on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment