Saturday, May 7, 2011

That GOOD GOOD Around the Web

Hey everybody, I’m finally back! First off, I would like to thank all of you who wished me a happy birthday on Wednesday; I really appreciate the e-mails and tweets that I received! Secondly, I want to thank all of you who nominated this blog for The Black Weblog Awards! Your support really, really means the world to me. Since I haven’t done a “real” post since April, I thought I would get you guys caught up with the jewels that I have discovered around the web recently. Enjoy!

I am an admirer of companies that are able to construct creative ad campaigns and lookbooks. A concept that cannot be emphasized enough is the importance of aesthetics; no matter what your creative niche is, be it blogging, photography, fashion, music, etc., how you present your product means a lot and says a lot about your product as well. That is why I have so much appreciation for those who present their products so beautifully, such as the brand Minimarket. Minimarket is a Swedish women’s clothing label that was started by 3 sisters in 2006. I absolutely love their lookbook for their S/S 2011 collection, I found it to be beautifully simple yet very effective. 
Here are some photos from their S/S 2011 accessories collection:

Listen to this:
A few days ago, Solange released a previously unreleased track named Left Side Drive. The song was written 2 years ago over the song Left Side Drive by Boards of Canada, a duo based out of Scotland. Solange states: “It’s completely unofficial, and was just inspired by the song which I have had a deep love affair with for years. I am a huge Boards of Canada fan, and got the chance to work with them on Sol-Angel on ‘This Bird’. Still feel honored to this day.” As a huge fan of Solange’s music, I am more than happy to see that she is liberating more of her musical magic. I have been waiting patiently for her to do so since 2008. You can listen to the lovely song below:


I discovered Toro y Moi many months ago while perusing a blog called JUSTNORMAN (which is seriously a great blog, I suggest you check it out!) Chaz Bundick, a.k.a. Toro y Moi, is an amazing musician; his music has a gorgeously pop infused electronic sound. It is relaxing to me, his breezy vocals have a tendency of lulling me to sleep (in a good way of course). This mix was dropped a few days ago and is the latest installment of Modular’s Modcast series.
Click HERE to listen & to download for free!

New Blog to Love: (click the picture)
My friend Teju Bolaji, owner of the London-based travelling vintage store called Vintage Tartlette, has created a lovely blog, also called Vintage Tarlette. You can click on the photo to check it out and make sure you follow it if you like what you see (which I am sure you will)! If you are unfamiliar with Teju, please read the interview I had with her by clicking here

I received an e-mail from a woman by the name of Kavita Parmar who is the creative director of an initiative by known as The IOU Project. In the e-mail, she states: “I am a fashion designer, and together with my company, we set ourselves up with what we thought was an almost impossible challenge: to design and produce a line of totally unique clothing that would be cool and casual, but no matter how many people bought an item no two would ever be the same...”
I never really thought about the repetitiveness in the mass production of clothing, but it definitely exists! The love and intimacy that goes into clothing made by hand is simply monumental and is a beautiful sentiment. That GOOD GOOD Blog proudly supports the IOU Project! Be sure to check out their website here and be on the lookout for their launch which will be in 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment